Employment Opportunity

The Township of Sables-Spanish Rivers is accepting applications from interested individuals for casual part-time employment as lab phlebotomist at the Massey Medical Clinic.  Hours of work to be scheduled by the Clinic Office Manager.   The successful candidate will perform various laboratory duties.  Previous lab experience or RPN credentials is required.   Confidentiality in this office setting is imperative.   A criminal records check will be required from the successful applicant.  Applications will be received by the undersigned until 12:00 p.m., Friday, January 26, 2018.

Kim Sloss, Clerk-Administrator
Township of Sables-Spanish Rivers


Espanola, Ontario

January 12, 2018


The Town of Espanola and the Township of Sables-Spanish Rivers (the Municipalities) are pleased to announce the acceptance of a letter of intent from North Bay Hydro Distribution Ltd. The Municipalities and North Bay will now proceed with the next phase of the process which includes the completion of due diligence and the preparation of a definitive agreement of purchase and sale. North Bay Hydro President and COO Matt Payne added "We are very excited by the opportunity to create a Northern Partnership with Espanola and Sables-Spanish Rivers that will enhance future sustainability for our communities."

"It is in the best interest of our residents and hydro ratepayers that these services are delivered through the knowledge and experience of North Bay Hydro" stated Les Gamble, Mayor for the Township of Sables-Spanish Rivers.

Both Sables-Spanish Rivers and Espanola Councils agree that their main focus is to ensure affordable, reliable and sustainable electricity to both communities. "This sale ensures the infrastructure upgrades which are required to ensure the long term dependability and reliability of our service will continue, while minimizing the impact on our distribution rates. We are confident that North Bay Hydro will bring value to the community in terms of distribution rates and customer service" stated Mayor Ron Piche, Town of Espanola.

The Town of Espanola currently owns 81.0% of Espanola Hydro and Sables-Spanish Rivers the remaining 19.0%; servicing 3,289 customers.

The Government of Ontario continues to promote electricity industry consolidation on a voluntary basis. Various government-sponsored reports have recommended that industry consolidation continue until there are only 8 to 12 mid-sized local distribution companies remaining in the Province, down from 307 in 1998. The electricity sector has become increasingly complex over the past 19 years and, as a result, smaller local distribution companies in Ontario have become overwhelmed by the diverse demands placed on them by the current regulatory, political, economic and technological environment.

For more information contact:

Kim Sloss, Clerk-Administrator
Township of Sables-Spanish Rivers
705-865-2646 ext. 222

Cynthia Townsend, CAO/Treasurer
Town of Espanola
P 705 869 1540 ext 2102

Parking Bylaw

With the winter season soon to be upon us, this is a reminder that pursuant to Bylaw 2009-40 no persons shall park a vehicle on any municipal road allowance between the hours of 2a.m. and 8a.m., or during other periods of snowplowing operations, from November 1st to March 31st, except for emergency and health care vehicles. 

Any vehicles interfering with snowplowing operations will be ticketed or towed away at the owner’s expense.

The Weather Network

Welcome to the Township of Sables-Spanish Rivers

Photo Credit:  Todd Peters

Our community is nestled in the LaCloche Foothills region of Lake Huron's North Shore, encompassing a large rural area including the communities of Walford, Massey and Webbwood.

Incorporated in July of 1998, the Township of Sables-Spanish Rivers offers all of the convenience of urban living amidst tranquil rural surroundings.

While larger urban centres such as Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie are only a short drive away, our many local retail and service establishments easily meet the needs of our residents, visitors and businesses alike.

A well-staffed medical clinic, volunteer fire department, two libraries, learning center, arena facility, two community halls, outdoor rinks, restaurants and farming history are but a few reasons why visitors to our community often become long-term residents.

2018 Cat & Dog Licences


Pick up your cat or dog licence before February 15th and save! 
Dog licences are $20 ($30 after February 15th )

Cat licences are $20
Available at the Township office – please bring cash or cheque made payable to “Animal Control”

Landfill Hours

The Tennyson Landfill Site (located approximately 8 miles north of Massey on Hwy 553) is now open every Saturday, from 10am - 2pm!



Box 5, Site 1, R.R.#3
11 Birch Lake Road
Massey, ON, P0P 1P0
Phone: (705) 865-2646
Fax: (705) 865-2736

Email: inquiries@sables-spanish.ca


Monday - Friday
  8:00 am - 4:00 pm