On May 27th, residents of the Township of Sables-Spanish Rivers gathered in Webbwood for a Bloom Ceremony to commemorate their 150th Celebration Garden, located at St. Lawrence Roman Catholic Church. Webbwood was selected for having the distinction of electing Canada’s first female Mayor, Barbara Hanley. Tulips are the international symbol of friendship and an enduring symbol of our national spirit of kindness and hospitality. The Township of Sables-Spanish Rivers extends sincere thanks to the Canadian Garden Council, Vesey’s Bulbs, Canada Post, Canadian Landscape Association and Niagara Parks, local sponsors Riverside Enterprises, Coyote Woodworks Sign Shop and Rob Johnson. Special thanks to Mary Page and Bev Stinson of Webbwood. Without your efforts and team of volunteers, this 150th Celebration Garden wouldn’t have been possible.
- June 30 – 4-H Canada & St. Andrew’s United Church 150th Celebration Concert and BBQ– Heritage Park 4:00 – 9:00 pm Performing 150 songs for Canada’s Sesquicentennial
- June 30 – Selfie Studio @ Massey Area Museum Dress up in Period costumes (provided), take a photo! Donation to the Massey Area Museum appreciated 4-7 pm
- June 30 – Deadline for Massey Area Museum Writing Competition submissions
July 1st - Massey Events:
- Mouth Park
- Flag Raising @ noon, followed by hotdogs and Birthday cake, Sand Castle Building Competition. Giant Slip and Slide, Prize for Most Festive Canada Day House
- Massey/Walford Horticultural Society Tree Planting Ceremony @ 12:30 pm
- Massey Arena Events (1:30 – 9:00 pm) – Kids Bouncy House, Adult Beach Volleyball competition, Crafts, Free Slush and Cotton Candy
- Adult Area- Live Entertainment (Railroad Steele)
- Massey Area Museum BBQ @ Arena 4–6 pm
- Fairgrounds – Fireworks Display @ Dusk
July 1st - Webbwood Events:
- Parade Registration @ 10 am with Parade @ 11 am
- BBQ & Festivities - Webbwood Memorial Park 11 am – 2 pm
- Eagles Club Canada Day Supper
July 5th, 12, 19 and 26 - Discovery Days at the Museum for children ages 7-12. Children will use tools from the past to create, talk to historical figures and play games that introduce them to the museum.
July 8-9th Western Horse Show – Massey Fairgrounds, begins at 9 am, pre-register online at www.masseyfair.ca
July 15th St. Andrew’s United Church Yard/Bake Sale – begins at 8 am
July 15-16th Friendly Massey Marathon – For more info and to register, visit www.masseymarathon.com
Come out and celebrate Canada Day on Saturday, July 1st, 2017. There will be events throughout the day at the Massey & District Community Centre & Arena with fireworks at dusk at the Fairgrounds. Please visit the Township website and the Parks & Recreation Facebook page for more information.
Thank you to the Celebrate Canada Program for providing funding for these festivities.